Monday, May 20, 2013

Being of Service — It's the little things

Study after study has shown that the best way to do something for yourself and increase your personal wellness is to do things for others.  This is not news.  So why do so many of us fail to do so?  Especially those who are kind, generous and basically altruistic?  Often it is because we feel inadequate, incapable of doing anything of consequence and feel ineffective at buoying others or affecting beneficial change.  Well I am here to tell you that is poppycock!

One needn't volunteer for the Peace Corps or Amnesty International to make a difference in the lives of others.  You may be surprised at how far a little good will can go.  It's the ripple effect at its best.  Think of how you yourself feel when a stranger holds a door open for you, offers you an umbrella, gives you a sweet compliment, or offers to push your stalled car.  How many times have you come off of Facebook with a smile, after being showered with well wishes by those who think you're fabulous and aren't afraid to say so?  Little things such as 'like' buttons, smiley faces and heart icons may seem silly or even annoying to some, but they can truly help someone to feel appreciated and even loved.

Emily Dickenson wrote:
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

Your own efforts, no matter how slight, are never in vain when they are selfless and sincere.  So go ahead—let the fellow with the quart of milk and the fussy toddler cut in front of you in the checkout line.  You may just save his sanity!

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic reminder...little things can make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete