Monday, January 5, 2015

Celebrate a new relationship... with food!

This time of year, many of us re-evaluate our habits when it comes to food consumption. Some will choose to eliminate sugar from their diet, some will eschew carbs, others will swear off meat, and others will omit caffeine. Many such decisions will be made in the interest of improved health, based on the latest medical studies on food components and human anatomy. Other choices will be made in the desperate desire to be and feel more physically attractive. However you choose to approach food and eating, make sure you make the choice that's right for you!

I've had ups and downs with weight—always directly related to whatever was going on in my heart, meaning my emotional wellbeing, not the muscle that beats in my chest. I am currently coming off a heartbreaking relationship that saw me gain about 40lbs. I know I could monitor my caloric intake and make a practice of exercising a certain amount daily in order to shed the weight, but I decided I wanted a more permanent and enjoyable regimen, one that would see me through the rest of my life.

I chose to celebrate food. Whereas many see food as little more than fuel, I see it as a tangible (and often, shared) expression of love and rejoicing. Think about the way we socialize. We meet for coffee, go on dinner dates, offer visitors to our home refreshments, observe meal traditions at holiday festivities, host feasts at weddings. We even serve food at memorial gatherings and deliver homemade meals to the bereaved.

So during the height of the high-calorie holidays I decided to revel in food, not fear its consequences. I cast out all notions of having to eat at certain times or needing to incorporate prescribed food groups in varying amounts. I made the conscious decision to eat whenever and whatever seemed like the most joyous expression of life and love. To be honest, I don't know the last time I've had so many baked goods!

I got on the scale on January 1 with a sense of fun, not dread—fully expecting to have gained several pounds, but not caring, as I had a longterm goal in mind, eg a beautiful and improved relationship with food. I was astonished to find that not only had I not gained any weight, but I had lost a few pounds. The scale has now been stored, as I have no intention of becoming its slave, and I am grateful for the opportunity to celebrate every single day in some way or another when I toast to life over a delightful meal or snack.

May you too find the solution that works for you so that eating can be a joy instead of a chore. Happy new year, and cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment